Chaddlehanger nr Tavistock
Chaddlehanger and its out reach of Lower Chaddlehanger is a tiny hamlet near Tavistock which has the best of all worlds. It has views over the valley to Bodmin moor but is situated on the edge of Dartmoor being only a couple of miles from the popular market town of Tavistock.
For those who like days out, south is Plymouth and the River Tamar, north is Okehampton and onto Bideford in North Devon, east is the wilds of Dartmoor and west is Bodmin Moor and onto Wadebridge and Padstow!
There is little presentable history connected to Chaddlehanger and is a true, "get away" from the city destination. The local golf course draws the city dwellers close by at Hurdwick. Set in 63 acres of well drained park land its is just 2 miles outside of Tavistock and less than a mile from Chaddlehanger. Hurdwick offers stunning 360 views over Dartmoor, Bodmin and the surrounding countryside.
The course is 5335 yards long and incorporates an array of hedges, thick fir trees and craftily placed bunkers to challenge all levels of golfer. Its also has its own quarry which adds to the flavour of the course!
STAYING IN CHADDLEHANGER
Discovery have some lovely cottages in Chaddlehanger! Ideal for dog walking as they are all dog friendly, plenty of parking, warm all times of the year having wood burners and all beautifully appointed!
Chaddlehanger is found within the Lamerton parish and is located within West Devon local authority area. Lamerton historically formed part of Lifton Hundred and falls within Tavistock Deanery for all ecclesiastical purposes. The population of this entire are was 722 in 1801 and less at 1028 in 1901. With the church playing such a central role in country destinations over the last thousand years, much of the local history focusses on these buildings and surrounding land.
Further afield the church (of St. Peter) at Lamerton itself was one of these and although burnt in 1877 was rebuilt in the 15th century style in 1879-80. A spacious church, with large perpendicular windows which are filled with clear glass. There is also a monument to the Tremayne family, erected in 1588, an in the graveyard finely engraved slate tombstones. Opposite this church is a medieval priest's house, carefully restored in 1934.
Hurlditch Court, is a late 16th century building and Collacombe is a notable local Elizabethan mansion, the home of the Tremaynes from the 14th century to the end of the 17th century. The great hall contains a huge transomed window, and a plaster mantelpiece datin back to 1574.
Tavistock is only a few minutes drive away as are Mary Tavy and Peter Tavy. Please check out